Table of Contents
- Best Shampoos Used by Dog Groomers: Winners
- What Shampoo Do Dog Groomers Use
- Best General Purpose Dog Shampoo Used by Groomers – TropiClean Berry and Coconut Deep Clean Shampoo
- Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoos Used by Groomers – WAHL Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
- Best Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin Used by Groomers – Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
- Best Medicated Shampoo Used by Groomers – Arava Natural Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Best Whitening Shampoo Used by Groomers – Veterinary Formula Snow White
- How to Choose a Professional Grooming Shampoo for Your Dog
I just brought Ginger to the groomer and when she got home her coat was so white and silky soft, I couldn’t help but wonder what the groomer used to get her coat so clean.
When I went to the store to find a good shampoo to use in between grooming appointments I couldn’t help but be overwhelmed at the large assortment of shampoos available.
And that did not even include the many shampoos used by dog groomers.
I later found that dog groomers use a variety of shampoos based on the needs of their canine clients.
What Shampoo Do Dog Groomers Use
After searching the internet over we found the best shampoos used by groomers that are also easily accessible to you.
How to Choose a Professional Grooming Shampoo for Your Dog
Most professional-grade shampoos are designed for a specific purpose and aren’t the same as human shampoo.
Let’s look at those purposes so you can see if that type of shampoo is right for your dog.
General Purpose Shampoo
General-purpose shampoos are the shampoos most often used by groomers.
They are perfect for getting the average dog clean and smelling great.
Most hypoallergenic shampoos are oatmeal-based because it helps to soothe itchy skin while also relieving redness and irritation.
Plus, oatmeal-based shampoos can provide greater moisturize and condition your dog’s coat and skin.
Hypoallergenic shampoos can be used all of the time or as needed for dogs that suffer from seasonal allergies.
Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
Shampoos designed for dogs with sensitive skin are ideal for dogs suffering from allergies, sores from flea dermatitis, itchy and dry and flaky skin, or hot spots.
Medicated shampoos are not ones you want to use every time your pup needs a bath, but they are an excellent option for dogs who have chronic hot spots or dry, itchy skin.
Though many dog shampoos have a 2-in-1 conditioning agent, general-use shampoos can irritate your dog’s skin if they have any abrasions or skin conditions.
For dogs that should have a bright white coat, groomers use specially formulated shampoos that will best display the true white of your dog.
There are a few different types of whitening formulas2:
- Bluing shampoos reflect the light and hide yellowing in your dog’s coat. Best of all, blue shampoos can be used for black dogs too, to help make their black coats shine.
- Enzymatic shampoos use specially formulated enzymes to help dissolve and eliminate the discoloration of your dog’s coat.
- Clarifying shampoos help open up your dog’s hair cuticle and cleans the dirt that’s collected there.
If I could choose just one brand for professional-grade dog shampoos, I would choose TropiClean. They have the largest variety of formulas and scents. Plus, they are all budget-friendly.
The runner up is the WAHL brand shampoo. I have used WAHL for years both the shampoos and the deodorizing wipes.
I like both of these brands because they both use natural ingredients.
Plus, both are safe and are scented to help your dog smell great.
And though I have used WAHL for years, I think the next time I buy a shampoo for my girls I will try TropiClean to see how they compare.
Still Have Questions?
Ask a Vet!