Can Dogs Have Grapes?

We want to thank our awesome fans for all of your support. We wouldn’t be able to do what we do without you, so thank you!

This answer was provided by one of our fantastically generous readers, Randy D.

If you’ve recently had to research an answer to a pet related question and would like to share what you found with fellow pet owners, send us your Q&A here.

Bottom Line: Dogs will eat grapes given the chance. They might not, however, survive the experience.Can Dogs Eat Grapes

Dogs should not eat grapes. While a reaction does not occur in all dogs, grapes or raisins can cause a reaction that will make your dog’s kidneys shut down. The result is often fatal. Therefore, you should not intentionally feed grapes or raisins to your dog.

Given the Chance, Dogs Will Eat Grapes

Dogs can and will eat grapes if they are given the chance. Not all dogs will have a bad reaction, but it is currently unknown why some do while others do not. When I was a child, we had a border collie who ate concord grapes right off the vine.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning

Grapes can cause acute and sudden kidney failure in dogs. If your dog eats grapes he or she might experience vomiting or diarrhea, lethargy, or seizures. Your dog might produce only small amounts of urine, or no urine at all.


If your dog eats a grape, you can induce vomiting by using a syringe to squirt a little hydrogen peroxide into the back of his mouth.

If it does not work the first time, you can try again a second time. Even if your dog vomits, you should still take him to the vet.

Once there, the vet will probably do a gastric lavage, which involves adding a lot of fluid to the stomach to wash it out and administer activated charcoal to help absorb any remaining toxin.

If enough of the toxin enters the bloodstream to cause kidney shutdown, the prognosis is not good. There is an option for a kidney transplant, but the cost is usually beyond most pet owners’ ability to pay.

Euthanasia is often the only kind course of action.